Saturday, July 30, 2011

Beautiful Michigan, Fudgies, Into the Mitten

Hello from the mitten of Michigan! The end of my trip suddenly feels very near.

My dad and I have had great fun going through the UP. After leaving Escanaba, we biked to Indian Lake State Park, where we weathered an exciting thunderstorm in the evening. Here's a pic of the Bay De Noc, which we passed on the way:


Here's one near Manistique, MI:


The next day we biked 85 miles to Brevort Lake State Park. We were a bit disappointed with this location. We were all excited to camp at Lake Michigan Campground, but it was full up. I tried to talk the camp manager into letting us set up in a non designated spot, but he wasn't having any of it.

Lake Michigan is breathtakingly beautiful. It is crystal clear, aquamarine, and goes on forever.




Today we finished up the last little smidge of peninsula, and then took the ferry to Mackinaw Island, and then on to Mackinaw City. They don't allow motorized vehicles on the island, which conjured images of quiet relaxation to me. However, there were so many tourists it ended up being a bit of a circus. Many of them also rent bikes. I saw several people with their helmets on backwards. on the upside, I got to eat fudge.


Apparently the longest porch in the world is on the island. Great claim to fame.


Here's one of the Mackinaw Bridge from the ferry:


From Mackinaw City we continued on to Harbor Springs. It was very pretty and very hilly. After dinner we hopped back on the bikes for a quick ten more miles to Magnus Park, in Petoskey. There's a storm just north of us that made a lovely sunset.


Now I'm really sleepy. Good night!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

Location:Little Traverse Wheelway,Petoskey,United States

No comments:

Post a Comment